Air Astana –From the heart of Eurasia
Air Astana is the primary airline carrier and also the national airline of the nation of Kazakhstan. Serving both international and domestic flights, the carrier operates out of primarily the Almaty International Airport, with Astana International Airport and Atyrau Airport as secondary hubs of operation.
Air Astana is the result of a joint venture between SamrukKazyna, a wealth fund in Kazakhstan which owns 51% of the entity and the company BAE Systems, which owns the remaining 49%. Headquartered at Almaty, Kazakhstan, Air Astana serves 63 destinations domestically and internationally with a fleet of 30 air carriers. The company employs over 4000 personnel.
Air Astana was formed in October 2001. The company first commenced its commercial flight operations on the 15th of May, 2002. The airline however, was initially created as a pure domestic airline. The role of BAE Systems came into picture when the government of the nation tried to facilitate air radar contact. After the seemingly intriguing start, thae airlines quickly expanded its domestic operations sending off flights toDubai, Frankfurt, Beijing, Moscow, Istanbul and London during the period of 2002 to 2005.
Post 2005, Air Astana has established its reputation and vastly expanded its operations base to include 42 destinations worldwide, including code shared and seasonal destinations.
Air Astana has total fleet of 30 airline carriers, consisting of Airbus, Boeing and Embraer carriers. Earlier between the years 2006 to 2008 Air Astana began replacing its Boeing 737 with the Airbus 320s. Air Astana has continually been observing restructuring in its fleet and today, it boasts of having the youngest fleet in the region and also one of the youngest fleets in Europe. The average age of fleet as operated by Air Astana is only 5 years. The company has future plans of expanding the fleet to include 43 airline carriers by the year 2020.
Air Astana is a young company and has new fleet. It has been receiving a lot of recognition over the years of its operation and has won many awards and accolades. Some of the notable awards that have been presented to Air Astana over the years include:
- Awarded the Best Airline in Central Asia at the Farnborough International Airshow for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Awarded the Best Airline in India at the Farnborough International Airshow for the years 2012, 2013 and 2014
- Awarded the Best Staff Service in India and Central Asia at the Farnborough International Airshow in 2013 and 2014
- Air Astana is the only airline from the CIS and Eastern European regions to be rated as a 4 star carrier by Skytrax
Routes and Destinations
Air Astana has steadily grown its presence to serve 63 destinations across Kazakhstan, Central Asian, Russian and European cities. Daily services are provided by the operator across Southern Asia, India and Central Asia including China, Europe and Russia.
Air Astana also shares codeshare agreements with a number of major airlines across the world including Air India, Asiana Airlines, Etihad Airways, Austrian Airlines and Turkish Airlines.
How to Check-in
Air Astana offers different options for check in to travellers. These include: - Web check in or online checking which commences 24 hours before departure and closes 60 minutes prior to departure - Personal check in at the airport, which close 40 minutes prior to the departure of the flight
Baggage and Allowance
Air Astana allows travellers to carry one free baggage item, which does not exceed 32kg and must not exceed 158cm in terms of the sum of its dimensions of length, breadth and depth. Passengers are also allowed to carry two small bags as cabin baggage, but the dimensions of these must not exceed 56cm by 45cm by 25cm. Excess baggage is allowed to be carried by a passenger at an extra charge.
As per different aircrafts, the seating options prove to be slightly different for Air Astana’s carriers. These include: - The Boeing carriers contain 16 to 30 business class seats measuring 57 to 59 inches by 21 to 21.4 inches and 150 to 193 economy seats measuring 32 inches by 18.1 inches - The Airbus carriers contains 16 to 28 business class seats measuring 37 inches by 21 inches and 132 to 150 economy class seats measuring 30 to 35 inches by 18 inches - The Embraer 190 contains 9 business class seats measuring 36 inches by 20 inches and 88 economy class seats measuring 31 inches by 18.2 inches
Air Astana offers simple booking of flights online or through reservation counters at the airports. Booking of flights can also be done though third party websites for travel. Booking fees may vary depending on the flight route, the date, the itinerary of the flight, the carrier type as also the class of the seat booked. Additional fees are charged for add on services that may be availed of on or before a flight.
© Skyscanner Ltd 2002-2015