Izmir Adnan Menderes International Airport connecting east to the world
The Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport is one among many airports managed by TAV. TAV’s history started in 1997 with the Istanbul Airport International Terminal. Since there have been 11 more airports built and managed by TAV. In today date TAV is Turkey’s leading brand in global airport operations sector. They now operate Istanbul Atarak, Ankara Esenboga, Izmir Adnan Menderes and Gazipasa Alanya Airports in Turkey.
Thirty-eight percent of the company’s shares were sold to Aero ports de Paris in 2012. They also manage other services including duty-free, food and beverage, ground handling services, IT, security and operation services. The company also provided services for 743,000 flights and 95 million passengers in the year 2014.
Many aircraft companies take off and land to numerous places from the Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport. These include SunExpress, Turkish Airlines, Onuair, Pegasus Airlines, AtlasJet, AnadoluJet, Tailwind Airlines, Germanwings, Transavia, EasyJet and Freebird.
· In 2006, stood first at a competition organized by the State Airports Administration General Directorate for the design of the Adnan Menderes Airport International Terminal and Multi-story Car Park.
- The Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport International Terminal and Multi-story Car Park Project was awarded first place among applied buildings in a competition held by the Turkish Structural Steel Association (TUCSA).
· Received the “Special Jury Award” in 2009 by the Aegean Region Chamber of Industry (EBSO).
· First terminal in Turkey and the second in Europe to receive carbon accreditation by Airports Council International (ACI).
· Received the “Environmentalist Airport of the Year” award at the Doha Aviation Summit in 2009
· Received the “ACI Eco-Innovation Award” given for the first time by ACI Europe on 17 June 2010.
Routes and Destinations
The Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport is a busy one and a whole lot of airlines fly through here. These include:
· Domestic Airlines: Airline companies such as AtlasJet, Pegasus Airlines, Turkish Airlines, SunExpress, AnadoluJet and Onuair follow domestic routes which include Istanbul, Mardin, and Ankara and across the whole country.
· International Airlines: SunExpress, Pegasus Airlines, Lufthansa, AtlasJet, Aegean, Tailwing Airlines, GermanWings, Transavia, EasyJet and Freebird are the airlines which follow International Routes that includes Amsterdam, Hannover, Rome, Vienna, Munich and almost all the airports around the globe.
Cargo Airlines: Turkish Airlines Cargo, Lufthansa Cargo, DHL, Havas Cargo and Ups are the cargo companies that operate through this airport. To send cargo across seas, one has to contact IATA (International Air Transportation Association).
Why fly through this airport
How to check-in
Passengers are asked to reach the airport 1 and a half hour before in case of domestic flights and two hours before in case of International flights. A valid ticket, Passport and ID must be ensured before coming to the airport. Check-in counters are available on the airport where passengers are supposed to go with their ticket and picture ID which includes valid Passport, ID card, driving license or marriage certificate. In case of international travel, a Visa is required for the destination. The check-in staff must be told about if any luggage is to be marked as cabin luggage so they can do the marking on the bags. You are finished with the check-in procedure when a check-in staff hands you over the ticket, ID and the boarding card.
Baggage and Allowance
Please make sure you don’t have any dangerous items in your bag. Items such as flammable lighters are not allowed inside flights. Please make yourself aware of the airline weight limits from the respective companies and make sure you do all the formalities properly, also double check this information on your ticket. You will have to pay extra fee if you want to carry baggage beyond the Airlines baggage limit. If you do not wish to carry a particular baggage, you can handle it to an airline’s cabin but make sure has been marked as cabin luggage. Afterwards, you will be given a boarding pass after which you shall be required to further proceed to the aircraft.
Confirm your seating position either at the airport’s desk or online. This will help you have an easy time during departure and will also save time at the airport.
Each airline has different booking fees hence it is important to be familiar with the different booking fees.
The Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport has provided with a lot of Terminal Services. These include:
· Lounges: The airport has one international lounge named Millennium Lounge and two domestic lounges – Comfort Lounge and THY CIP lounge.
· Banks and Exchange Offices: There are five separate areas within the terminal where you will find a cash point. To know more, visit the Airport’s website.
· Internet/Wi-Fi: Internet Wi-Fi is available throughout the airport. At the international lounge, the service is free of cost and you can pay a small amount to access Wi-Fi for the rest of the airport.
· Giftware: There are gift stores available at the international terminal. They are open 24 hours a day, all days of the week.
· Porter: Porters are available at all times of the day at the arrival baggage claim areas and departure gates.
· Mosques: There is also a mosque in the land side of the international terminal and is open 24 hours a day.
· Meeting Points: The airport has two meeting points at different locations in the airport premises.