Mactan-Cebu International Airport, It’s not just a gateway. It’s a destination.
Mactan-Cebu International Airportis situated in Central Visayas region in Philippines.
The runway was initially built as an emergency airport for the Strategic Air command bombers by the United States Air Force. Back then in time it was called the Mactan Air Base. The single airstrip also served the United States Air Force in 1960s during the Vietnam War when it was used to store C-130 units of the air force. The civilian airport was not opened until the mid-1960s. This was done to replace the Lahug Airport as it could be expanded due to safety and physical issues. The new civilian airport was now named Mactan-Cebu International Airport also known as MCIA.
In 2008, the airport authority namely Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) announced that the airport will go through a renovation and also a new terminal will be constructed. The new terminal would serve only International flights. The project proposed 300 million Philippine pesos for the renovation and development.
The Mactan-Cebu International Airport also served as a center for air operations for the relief effort in 2013 when the country faced the horrific typhoon Haiyan. This typhoon is considered to be the most destructive typhoon in this history of Philippines and led to the death of around 6,300 people.
The airport serves many domestic and international airline companies. These airlines include AirAsia, AirAsia Zest, Air Busan, Asiana Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Cebgo, Cebu Pacific Air, China Airlines, Jeju Air, Korean Air, Mandarin Airlines, Orenair, Philippine Airlines, Philippine Air, Silk Air, Tiger Air, Etihad Airways and Dragon Air. It also serves cargo flights such as 2GO Air, FedEx Express, Pacific East Asia Cargo Airlines, Tri-MG Intra Asia Airlines and TransGlobal Airways.
The airport is not known to have received any awards in the airlines sector.
Routes and Destinations
The airport has domestic, International flights and cargo flights as well. It is used by many aircraft companies which include:
· Domestic Flights: Many domestic flights take off and land to this airport which includes airlines such as AirAsia, AirAsia Zest, Philippine Airlines, Philippine Air operated by PAL Express, Silk Air, Tiger Air, Orenair, Cebu Pacific Air, Cebgo Airlines and Asiana Airlines.
· International Flights: International flights include AirAsia, AirAsia Zest, Air Busan, Asiana Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Cebu Pacific Air, Cebgo, China Airlines, Jeju Air, Korean Air, Mandarin Airlines, Orenair, Philippine Airlines, Philippine Air (Operate by PAL Express), Silk Air, Tiger Air, Etihad Airways and Dragon Air. These travel to various destinations including Kuala Lampur, Hong Kong, Busan, Seoul-Incheon, Busan, Singapore, Tokyo, etc.
Cargo flights: The airport is a busy gateway for cargo. Cargo flights that operate through the Mactan-Cebu International Airport include 2GO Air, FedEx Express, Pacific East Asia Cargo Airlines, Tri-MG Intra Asia Airlines and TransGlobal Airways.
Why fly through this Airport?
How to check-in
The check-in procedure is standard. You have to come with your ticket, photo ID and Passport/Visa in case of International travel. Carrying the ticket and photo ID is a must. Photo ID may include Passport, driving license, marriage certificate, etc. A number of check-in counters are available through the airport. The time for reaching the airport may range between 15 minutes to some hours depending on the airline company and your destination. Kindly be aware of the time you are supposed to reach the airport.
Baggage and Allowance
Difference airlines have different baggage rules. Passengers are requested to enquire about their baggage rules with the respective airline company. Passengers are also requested to make sure that they don’t carry and dangerous items such as flammable lighters or knives as those will be confiscated up on check-in. Also carrying of any such item can result to strict actions by the airport authority.
While checking in, you may ask about the seating preference and also can you inquire about your flight and destination. You can confirm your seating position also at the airport’s desk. This will help you have an easy time during departure.
· Flash Cargo Services: It is a global cargo service and offers its customers total satisfaction and ensure 100% safety when it comes to transporting cargo.
· iKonnect: The service offers facilities such as internet access, photocopying and scanning. Cellphones, accessories and toys are also available.
· Ibales luggage Depository: The service provides short term luggage storage at affordable prices. Passengers can deposit their luggage on arrival and pick it up anytime convenient for them. This ensures safety of luggage.
· Therapeutic massage: The airport also has a massage shop where you can get relaxed after a long travel experience and or when there is a delay in the flight.
· Rent-a-car service: The airport offers two car renting services namely Flamingo rent-a-car and Friends rent-a-car. These car rental services provide you with rental cars at affordable rates.
· Money exchange: A number of money exchange services are provided by the Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority to ensure complete financial support to all its passengers.
Every different airlines have different booking fees according to their requirements. Thus, passengers at this airport are requested to check their own carriers for respective booking fees. The national airline gives discounts on special occasions.