The land of the rising sun- Japan has always been a part of the travel itinerary, but never more so than now. More and more people are planning a trip to Japan to explore everything from its ancient sacred shrines to its fantastic shopping avenues, natural marvels to the developed city culture to deeply ingrained social traditions, temples, beautiful gardens, gorgeous mountains, geishas and the famous tea ceremonies. Of course, your plan to travel is incomplete unless you have a Japan visa.
Do Indians need a visa to Japan? Well yes, they do. If you don’t know much about visa requirements and how to get one for yourself or the family look no further. Skyscanner has put down a list of things you must do to get a tourist visa for Japan.
Two Ways to apply for a Japan Visa
There are two ways to apply for a visa to Japan:
- Option 1: Download the form from one of the approvedvisa centre websites. Fill up the formonline, take a print, sign it and then submit the form at the centre. You may be required to pay visa feesand service charges if required
- Option 2: Visit the official embassy or consulate website, download the visa form, fill in appropriate details, add your signature and then submit the application.
Types of Visa
Most types of visa for Japan fall under two main categories, i.e. the short stay visa and the long stay visa to Japan.
- Short stay visa: This kind of visa allows you to stay up to 3 months or 90 days in Japan, whether you are travelling for business, attending conferences,visiting friends and relatives or being a tourist as long as your stay doesn’t involve any paid activities.
- Long stay visa: This Japan visa lets you stay in Japan for more than 90 days where you can be paid for work as a professor, journalist, engineer, researcher; stay for education or training.
Categories of Visas to Japan
There are 15 different categories that you apply under for a visa to Japan. The regular tourist visa is applied for without a guarantor or with a guarantor. Check for a detailed list of the types of visa you can apply for here.
Japan Visa Application Process
If you wish to travel to Japan, you will need a valid passport, visa and other relevant documents. The following are documents you need for a standard tourist visa application to Japan.
- Your original passport and old passports, if you have them
- The passport must be valid for at least 6 months from the date of your arrival in Japan and have a minimum of 2 blank pages init.
- A duplicate of the first and the last page ofyour passport.
- Confirmed return flight tickets for Japan.
- Duly filled and signed visa application form
- A cover letter explaining the purpose of travel and a daily itinerary of your stay that should state have information about your airfare, accommodations and booking details or an invitation letter by the concerned individual or entity.
- A passport size photograph that is not more than 6 months old and is 2 x 2 inches. It must be a coloured photograph on a white background, where the face is clearly visible, and you are looking straight ahead. Photos with murky, full, or decorative backgrounds will not be accepted.
- A letter of guarantee, invitation letter, list of visa applicants, details of the company;
- An original copy of recent bank statements for the last 3 months. In the case of bank passbooks, submit a copy of the passbook.
- Latest ITR
- Certificate of employment from the employer or aNOC (no objection certificate or proof of leave sanctioned if you are a workingprofessional.
- If you are a student then a parent consent form,a copy of the parent’s bank’s statement forthe last three months, latest income tax certificate of your parents.
- If you are a dependent then a spouse’s consent form, last three months bank statement for the spouse, and a recent ITR copy.
- If you are travelling with a dependent, then a Proof of Relationship is needed. It can be a Marriage Certificate or Birth Certificate.
- Once you submit the application to the Consulate General of Japan in Mumbai, it is processed in 4 working days from the date it is submitted on.
How much does a visa to Japan cost?
The application costs for a Japan visa depends on the category of visa you are applying for. A single-entry or multiple entry tourist visas for an Indian citizen costs INR 490. For other nationals applying for a Japan Visa, the fee is INR 1750 for a single entry. For a double-entry or multiple entries, the visa fee is around 3510.
A transit visa may cost around INR 40 for Indian citizens and 410 for others. Do remember these are the general charges. Depending on the purpose of travel, your citizenship you may or may not have to pay fees. The amounts may differ. To know more click here.
When is a visa to Japan Issued?
A visa to Japan is issued only if the application meets certain criteria. To know the criteria for visa issuance please check the embassy website. Click here to know.
How to Reach Japan
Japan is easily accessible through direct flights to Tokyo from Delhi. Other flights from metro cities like Mumbai, Chennai, Bengaluru, Kolkata, Kochi stopover at Delhi before departing for Japan. You may also want to consider taking the sea route if you like long luxurious holidays that most cruises offer. Once in Japan you can make use of its efficient transport system to move around the city.