Ways to apply for a visa to China
There are two ways to apply for a visa to China:
Option 1: You may fill up an online application form (a visa centre provides this service), print it out, and sign it.
Option 2: You may download the application form from the official embassy website, fill it up, and sign it.
Types of visas to China
China has 16 visa categories of which the L visa is required for a regular tourist visit. Click here for a detailed list of the types of visa you can apply for.
Read more: China: A guide for first-time visitors
China visa application process
If you wish to travel to mainland China, you are going to need a passport and a visa along with a list of other documents. The following are documents required for a standard tourist visa application to China, also known as the L visa.
- Your original passport and old passports, if any.
- The original passport should be valid for 6 months from your date of arrival in China, and also have a minimum of two blank pages.
- A photocopy of the data and photo page of your passport.
- You must have confirmed return air tickets.
- A day-wise itinerary of your stay which should include a return air ticket booking record, hotel reservation proof, or an invitation letter by the concerned individual or entity. For more information on what the letter should contain, click here.
- A personal written statement, a covering letter with details about place to visit, name, address, contact of the inviting person or company; certification letter from the working unit of the applicant; or original copy of a recent 6-month bank statement of the applicant, attested and signed by a bank official. The letter must be signed by an authorised signatory with a company stamp and should be addressed to the ‘Consulate General of the People’s Republic of China, Mumbai or Kolkata or New Delhi as per the jurisdiction.
- Any other documents required by the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General.
- Visa application form filled and signed, along with a recent colour photo. You can get the details of the photo here.
- The applicant must be in India when applying for a visa to China.
- A normal Chinese visa takes between one to two weeks to be processed, any urgent request will require extra fee.
How much does a visa to China cost?
Costs for a Chinese visa depend on the category of visa you are applying for. A single entry visa for an Indian citizen costs INR 3,900. For a detailed look at various visa type costs, click here.
India is very well connected to China, with multiple flights connecting all major Indian cities to various Chinese destinations. If you have China on your mind, but you are unsure about which part of the vast country to start your visit with, try out Skyscanner’s Country Search tool. This user friendly tool will help you decide which is the cheapest city/airport to land at.
Now that you are conversant with all there is to know about getting a Chinese visa, log on to Skyscanner, book those cheap flights and head to the mainland now!
Note: Information and Data provided on this page is correct as of 20 April 2018.