If you have been smitten by Vietnam’s rustic charm, stimulating history, diverse kitchen and adrenaline-pumping activities, welcome to a club of millions. Every backpacker’s paradise, every couple’s romantic corner and every family’s playground, this Southeast Asian gem is a must-visit. Wondering how to lay your hands to the Vietnamese visa and get access to all the primeval beaches, verdant rice terraces, intriguing caves and ancient temples? Skyscanner’s quick visa guide to Vietnam is all you need. Read on.
How to get a visa to visit Vietnam?
Vietnam introduced a provision to obtain e-Visa for nationals of 46 countries, including India, in 2017. This means you can get your Vietnam visa super quick and without any hassle.
You can get the Vietnam Visa on Arrival (VOA), a legal document approved by the Department of Immigration, by applying visa online via the official website of Vietnam Visa. Then, you can obtain the approval letter, a letter issued by the Immigration Department of Vietnam allowing you to enter and exit Vietnam for a given period of time, to pick up visa at one of the three international airports in Vietnam.Find flights to Vietnam
You can apply for 4 types of visas to Vietnam:
- A 1 month single entry visa will cost you US$17
- A 1 month multiple entry visa will cost you US$20
- A 3 month single entry visa will cost you US$25.00
- A 3 month multiple entry visa will cost you US$65.00
A scanned color PDF file of your Approval Letter will be sent to you via email. Please be sure you have provided your correct email address while applying.
Related: Vietnam Tourism
Once you reach any of the three international airports in Vietnam, you will have to pay a stamping fee (either in US dollar or Vietnam dong). The fee you will pay will depend on the type of visa you have applied for:
- A 1 month single entry visa: US$25
- A 1 month multiple entry visa: US$50
- A 3 month single entry visa: US$25.00
- A 3 month multiple entry visa: US$50.00
How long will it take to process your visa application?
The approval letter will be processed and emailed to you within two business days (excluding Saturday, Sunday, and national or international holidays). However, if you need your Vietnam visa urgently, don’t worry. If you pay an additional US$20, you can get your visa processed within 4 to 8 hours; if you pay an additional US$10, you can get it processed within 1 business day. More details here.Find flights to Vietnam
Things to remember before applying for Vietnam visa:
- Ensure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months counting from date of arrival and blank pages left for new stamp.
- The arrival date you mention while applying for Vietnam visa should be the earliest you plan to arrive, but you can arrive after that date.
- Make sure you carry at least two standard photos of passport size (4cm x 6cm) as you will need them upon arrival in Vietnam’s airports. If you forget to bring your photos along or do not have time to prepare these photos before your departure, don’t panic. You can have them taken at a Vietnam airport for US$2 or less per photo.
Related: Ho Chi Minh City Quick Guide
Vietnam welcomes its international tourists through three airports – Nội Bài International Airport (Hanoi), Tân Sơn Nhất International Airport (Ho Chi Minh City) and Đà Nẵng International Airport. Hanoi airport, the biggest airport in northern Vietnam, is located around 35km away from the capital. To grab the cheapest air tickets to Vietnam, set a Price Alert and we’ll let you know when to book your flights.
Now that you know everything about getting your hands on a Vietnamese visa, log on to Skyscanner and book those cheap flights!Find flights to Vietnam
Note: Information and data provided on this page is correct as of 18 September 2018.