Cheap flights from New Delhi to Chennai
Top last minute flight dealsFeeling spontaneous? It’s never too late to book a trip. Here’s our pick of the best last minute flights to Chennai...
- Fri 20 SepDELMAAAirAsia IndiaDirectOne way from ₹ 3,583
- Sat 21 SepDELMAAIndiGoDirectOne way from ₹ 3,583
- Sun 22 SepDELMAAIndiGoDirectOne way from ₹ 3,583
Flight information New Delhi to Chennai
Cheapest return price last month
Flights per week
Average flight time, total distance 1763 kilometres
Frequently asked questions
How to compare and get the best flights from Delhi to Chennai?
- The price table above shows the lowest 2-way flight prices from Delhi to Chennai for each month. Clicking on the price will take you to a calendar view to choose specific dates as per your itinerary.
- If you are planning well in advance, you can set-up Skyscanner's price alerts to get notification whenever there is a price change from Delhi to Chennai flight tickets
What you need to know before flying from New Delhi to Chennai?
New Delhi – 110037, India
Chennai 600027, Tamil Nadu, India
Getting to New Delhi airport
- 20 km south of Delhi’s city centre lies Indira Gandhi airport. Visitors travelling by metro can take the Orange Line which will take them directly to terminal T3.
- Travellers can also book prepaid taxis, hire metered taxis or rickshaws or take A/C coach buses to get to the airport.
Travelling from Chennai airport
- 20 km southwest of Chennai’s city centre on GST road is Meenambakkam airport. Travellers can take metered taxis or rickshaws or book prepaid taxis. Travellers should note that some rickshaw drivers don’t adhere to the meter. It is advisable to haggle and settle on a price before getting into the vehicle.
- Travellers can also rent cars. See here.
- Tirusulam railway station lies a short distance from the airport.
- Travellers can take the bus 18A, but the bus station lies quite far away.
Facilities at New Delhi and Chennai airports
- Indira Gandhi airport features premium lounges for passengers, dining spaces and cafes, car rental counters, ATMs, banking facilities, money changers and forex services, and free Wi-Fi for 30 minutes.
- Chennai airport has 24x7 medical aid, money changers and forex services, banking facilities and ATMs, cafes and restaurants, shopping and retail spaces, conference and business rooms and free Wi-Fi as well.
Tips on how to make the best out of your flight journey from New Delhi to Chennai
The average flight time from New Delhi to Chennai is 2h 40min nonstop. Travellers can read up about the Gateway of South India, Chennai, in the in-flight magazines or catch a quick nap.
Chennai at a glance
Chennai is the 369-year-old capital city of the southern state of Tamil Nadu. Formerly known as Madras, Chennai is India's sixth most populated city. It is robust, has a remarkable local culture and is a major destination for medical tourism. The city's Marina Beach runs a distance of 13 km, making it the world's eleventh longest natural urban beach. Visit this fastest growing city in the country and you would come back rejuvenated.
Weather in Chennai
November to February when the temperatures are between 18 and 25 degrees Celsius is the best time to visit the city. Rains are minimal and the humidity is less.
Cost of living in Chennai
Travelling in the local transport costs INR 15 (one-way minimum) while travelling 1 km in a taxi costs INR 12-20. An inexpensive meal can cost around INR 100 while a three course meal for two at a mid-range restaurant costs around INR 500.
Mode of payments accepted in Chennai
Travellers should carry cash in all denominations for transportation, small purchases and paying for food. ATMs accept all kinds of debit cards while the hotels and mid-range to high-range restaurants accept credit and debit cards.
Best places for your first meal in Chennai
Rice is the traditional staple food. Try the famous Chennai vegetarian thali or Virundhu Sappadu - An elaborate meal of steamed rice served with accompaniments including sambar, rasam, kootu, curd and buttermilk. Other famous dishes are Chicken Kothu Parotta and Kalaki (An omelette with chicken curry on it). Breakfast usually includes idli, pongal, dosai, idiyappam and Vadai. Hot filter coffee is the signature beverage. The beach restaurants are a must visit in the evenings. Chennai has a good balance of swanky restaurants and streets stalls where you can devour the real taste of South India.
Madras, today's Chennai, was one of the first outposts of the British East India Company. The colonial old charm still lingers in the air, juxtaposed by Tamil culture and a whiff of modern, fast growing India. This makes the city a rich metropolitan cultural hub, ideal for a young Indian to live in. Chennai is also famous for its varied arts institutes and ventures like Kalakshetra and Cholamandalam artists’ village. Music and Dance (Bharatnatyam) followed by food and art is of great importance here.
Chennai History and Architecture
Chennai's history dates back to 1639 when the British East India Company was granted land to build a trading settlement by a local Telugu ruler. The document of the land grant is dated 22 August 1639 and that is why Chennai celebrates its birthday on 22nd August each year as Madras Day. The architecture here is a great mix of ancient colonial buildings and modern architecture.
Shopping in Chennai
Chennai is famous for its traditional Kanjeevaram sarees for women and visit for men. If you are in Chennai, don't forget to pick up a beautiful cotton or silk saree right from a textile mill or weaver. Chennai is full of glittering malls that stock the latest brands. But for a more ethnic experience, head to T Nagar, the largest shopping district of India, where you can buy everything from flowers to diamonds. The city is also known for its gold stores.
Documents required to travel from Delhi to Chennai
Passengers travelling from Delhi to Chennai must carry any one of the identity card listed below
- Valid Passport
- Pan card
- Valid driving license
- Election photo identification card
- In case of children, their school identification card or any other photo identification proof
- In case of infants, a valid birth certificate
Major airlines that operate from Delhi to Chennai
IndiGo flights to Chennai, Jet Airways flights to Chennai, Air India flights to Chennai
FAQ on Flights from Delhi to Chennai
- Q1: How can I book cheap New Delhi to Chennai flight tickets online? A: Use Skyscanner's flight search above and fill in your travel dates and click on "Search Flights". You can now choose the desired flight to Chennai from the list.
- Q2: How Skyscanner is different from online travel agents? A: Skyscanner search engine pulls flight prices from all the major airlines and online travel agents like MakeMytrip,ClearTrip, Yatra, Goibibo etc., Hence you don’t have to check multiple websites to find the best price. Once you find your cheap flights & click to select, we link you directly to the airline or travel agent. No hidden charges, no added fees.
Q3: Which is the cheapest month to book flights from New Delhi to Chennai?
A: Check the bar chart at the top to find the cheapest month to fly from New Delhi to Chennai. The chart is based on the next 12 months price data we have.
Q4: Should I opt for a travel insurance while flying from of New Delhi to Chennai?
A: It's always safe to travel with a travel insurance.
Q5: Should I opt for on board food while travelling from New Delhi to Chennai?
A: Its suggested to opt for on board meals while flying to Chennai.
Q6: What is the check in luggage limit in New Delhi to Chennai flights?
A: Generally, 15 kg is the allowed baggage limit for an economy class passenger flying from New Delhi to Chennai. Its advised to check your baggage limit that is printed on your ticket as it varies from airline to airline.
Q7: What is the hand baggage limit in New Delhi to Chennai flights?
A: 7 to 10 kg is the allowed hand luggage limit while flying from New Delhi to Chennai. For most recent updates on the hand luggage weight, contact respective airlines.
Q8: What is the advantage of doing a web check in while flying from New Delhi?
A: Web check-in confirms your travel while flying from New Delhiand saves your time at the check-in counter.
Q9: How can I change my New Delhi to Chennai travel dates after booking?
A: Before check-in, the respective flight operator will allow you to change your travel dates. Generally, its chargeable based on the rescheduled date. It is recommended to contact respective airlines to know about the charges.
Q10: How do I subscribe for Skyscanner's price alerts for cheap fares from New Delhi to Chennai?
A: Use Skyscanner's price alert tool to get notified about cheap fares from New Delhi to Chennai.
Information and Data provided on this page is correct as of Jul 15th, 2019
Prices shown on this page are estimated lowest prices only. Found in the last 45 days.