Vacations are always exciting. However, packing for them might not always be fun. If you forget to carry an important document, it might mean ending your vacation abruptly; if you miss carrying your regular medication, you will end up hunting for prescriptions and pharmacies. You don’t need any speed breakers or dampers on your dream trip! So, we have prepared an ultimate checklist for all your travel necessities. Read on.
A) General essentials before you travel
- Prepare a day-to-day itinerary
- Check your passport expiry date
- Apply for visas if applicable
- Book your flights
- Buy travel insurance
- Print your tickets and insurance
- Carry you photo ID proof and a copy
- Book your accommodation
- Check-in online for your flight
- Buy an international SIM card or activate international roaming
- If you are going to drive in another country, get an international license.
- Mail yourself the soft copies of all important documents.
- Prepare a list of emergency phone numbers and carry in your wallet.
- Research a bit about the Indian Embassy and its location in the country you are visiting in case you need it during a natural or man-made disaster.
- Keep cash in the local currency handy
- Keep a few US dollars accessible in countries where it is accepted apart from the local currency.
- Carry international credit cards and international debit cards
- Save Indian currency for travel to and from the airport.
- If you are getting back some foreign currency home, make sure you convert all notes into coins as notes wear out over the time.
Read more: 10 tips for a flight upgrade!
- Get a basic health check before you leave if it is a longish trip.
- Stock up regular medication.
- Carry other basic medicines such as painkillers, paracetamol tablets, antacids, diarrhoea medicine and so on.
- Pack an insect repellent, sunscreen, hand sanitiser, nail cutter, and lip balm.
- Carry sickness bags if you or anyone travelling with you has motion sickness.
- If it’s a trip where getting clean water will be difficult, carry water purification tablets.
- Carry shampoo sachets and travel soaps to save space.
- If you are carrying face wash or body wash, pack it in smaller bottles and carry.
- Carry a moisturiser, especially if you are off to a cold place.
- Pack wet wipes and tissues.
- Pack make up and make up remover.
- Carry a deodorant and perfume.
- Pack a tiny shaving kit.
- Carry a hair comb and hair serum to control fizzy hair (for those Insta-worthy photos!).
- Charge all your electric equipment before you leave.
- Carry charged power banks (but do not pack them in the check-in luggage as per the new rule)
- Carry power adapters.
- Pack chargers for camera, phone, e-reader, laptop and tablet.
- If you are carrying a DSLR, check if you want to carry an extra lens.
- Carry memory cards.
- Carry a money belt which assures to keep your money discreet and safe.
- If it is a beach vacation, carry a fun, foldable beach bag.
- Carry a small sling bag where you could store your important documents.
- Take a backpack which you can use during day trips.
G) Clothes While the type of clothes you have to pack will depend on the destination you are visiting, here is a basic list of items you will need on a vacation. Add or delete items as per your need.
- Casual t-shirts
- Jeans/cotton pants
- Casual dresses
- Semi-formal dresses
- Socks and stockings
- Thermal wear
- Swimwear – swimsuits, trunks, bikinis, sarongs, etc.
- Carry a pair of reliable flip flops
- Sport shoes – travel wearing them to save space
- Pack a smart, semi-formal pair for any special dinners.
Read more: Solo woman travel guide
I) Accessories You might have all the right clothes, but to pump up the overall look, you will need these accessories:
- Artificial jewellery
- Ear muffs
- Eye masks
Phew! That was some list! We are sure it will help you plan and pack for your upcoming vacation and ensure that there are no bumps on the way. One more important thing you must carry is a travel journal where you can pen down special experiences daily when on a vacation. It will surely be a priced possession a few years down the lane.
Apart from this list, our all-in-one slick mobile app will help you plan your trip better and find the best deals for you. This award-winning, free app will notify you every time the flight prices of your desired destination drops based on the price alert set up by you. What’s more? Our colour coded calendar will let you know which are the cheapest days in the month to fly on. This app is also handy to fly nearby cities of the country/continent you are flying to. For example you may consider taking a short trip to Bali while you are vacationing in Singapore as Bali is visa free.